Accord Finasteride 1mg (PGD) 28 Tablets
Accord Finasteride 1mg (PGD) 28 Tablets
Great for stimulating hair growth and preventing further hair loss in adult men.
- Reduces the level of a particular hormone that causes hair loss in men
- Effective results in 90% of men
- Take one daily for 3-6 months
- Stops hair from thinning
- Easy to take tablets
- 28 days supply
If you're aged 18–60, you'll find that a hair loss treatment like Finasteride is perfect for combating hair loss. Typically, you'll find that improved growth is achieved after four months to 2 years. After then, we recommend continuing treatment so you keep up the great results.
1. Is this an over-the-counter medication? No, this is a prescription-only medication (POM). But we do offer a private clinic (called PGD) where a trained pharmacist can dispense Finasteride (Accord) 1mg 28 Tablets after carrying out a clinical assessment.
2. What will happen once I have answered the questions in the form? A pharmacist trained to provide this private service will assess the form and call you to discuss with you the answers you provided.
3. Why do I need to provide my phone number? In order to dispense this medication without a prescription, the consultation must be carried out via phone or video call. As well as this being a legal requirement to ensure that the medication is suitable for you, the final phone consultation will allow you to ask the pharmacist any questions you may have.
4. Is the consultation private? Patient confidentiality is one of our top priorities, both the form you fill and the phone consultation are strictly confidential between you and the pharmacist.
5. Do I need to pay for the consultation? The price you see is inclusive of the consultation fee, so you will not have to pay anything extra and there are no hidden fees.
Experiencing hair loss and you don't know why? Check out our guide, 'Everything you need to know about hair loss' to find out what could be the cause and how to treat it.
Active ingredient: Finasteride 1mg
Lactose, microcrystalline cellulose E460, pregelatinised maize starch, sodium starch glycollate, docusate sodium, magnesium stearate E572,
hypromellose E464, hydroxypropyl cellulose E463, titanium dioxide, talc, yellow iron oxide E172, red iron oxide E172.
Usage and Instructions
Take one 1mg tablet daily with or without food.
Visible improvements can be seen three to six months of once daily treatment, but maintain hair growth treatment must be continued indefinitely. If treatment is stopped, the beneficial effects begin to reverse by six months and return to baseline by 9 to 12 months.
This medication is a prescription-only medication (POM) which trained pharmacists can only dispense
Who cannot use finasteride 1mg tablets:
- Patients under 18 years of age
- If you are allergic to finasteride or any of the excipients in this preparation
- If your hair loss is caused by chronic medical conditions, i.e. cancer and chemotherapy.
- If you are already taking Proscar (finasteride 5mg) or any other 5α-reductase inhibitor for benign prostatic hyperplasia or any other condition
- If you are using anti-fungal, anti-seborrhoea, hair implants or psoriasis or steroid creams on the scalp
- If you are using any medications associated with hair loss, including cytotoxics, you should be referred.
- If you have rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance, the Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption should not take this medicine
- If you have liver problems
- If you suffer from depression, generalised anxiety disorder, psychosis, schizophrenia, suicide attempts, suicidal thoughts, self-endangering behaviour or any other psychiatric disorder
- If you know you suffer from obstructive uropathy
Mood alterations including depressed mood, depression and, less frequently, suicidal ideation have been reported in patients treated with finasteride 1mg. If you have a history of psychiatric disorders, this product is not suitable for you.
Please report any signs of depression during treatment and, if any, discontinue the treatment immediately and seek medical advice.
If your partner is pregnant:
Crushed or broken tablets of finasteride should not be handled by women when they are or may potentially be pregnant because finasteride could be absorbed through the skin, affecting the fetus. If the tablet is not broken or crushed, there are no risks because it is coated.
Also, because small amounts of finasteride have been detected in male semen if your partner is or may potentially be pregnant, it is advised to wear a condom during sexual intercourse.
The results of this test can be affected if you take finasteride. If you are due for a PSA test, please inform your doctor that you are taking finasteride before performing the test.
If you notice any change in your breast, such as lumps, pain, gynecomastia or nipple discharge, please inform our pharmacists and your GP right away. Breast cancer has been reported in men taking finasteride 1mg during the post-marketing period. This is why it is essential to keep an eye on any changes in your breast tissue.
Can finasteride 1mg tablets affect my fertility?
When the drug was trialled, men planning to have a child were excluded, so, unfortunately, the only data that we currently have available on the effect of finasteride on fertility comes from animal studies performed after the medication was released in the market. These studies did not show relevant adverse effects on fertility, spontaneous reports of infertility or poor seminal quality.
Is the treatment effective?
Finasteride 1mg is more effective in the early stages of hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) and is much less effective when alopecia is established. Androgenetic alopecia in men aged 18–60 usually responds well to treatment, with maximum hair growth generally achieved after four months to 2 years. Please be aware that treatment should be continued because if treatment is stopped, hair growth is lost within 6– 12 months.
Side effects you should look out for:
- Mood alterations including depressed mood, depression
- Changes in the breast tissue (lumps, pain, nipple discharge)
If you experience any of the above stop the treatment immediately and consult our pharmacists and your GP.