Audavate RD - Betamethasone 0.025% Cream (PGD) 100g
Audavate RD - Betamethasone 0.025% Cream (PGD) 100g
This moderately potent steroid-based cream is especially appropriate for moist or weeping surfaces affected by moderate atopic eczema. The low concentration of Betamethasone makes it perfect for sensible areas like the face and flexures.
Audavate RD is formulated with an active ingredient named betamethasone valerate. This compound is part of the steroid family, known for diminishing inflammation and discomfort.
The "RD" in its name indicates "Ready Diluted," signifying its lower concentration of the active ingredient compared to Audavate or Betnovate. This makes it suitable: • for less severe atopic eczema, or • to maintain the condition of the skin once Audavate/Betnovate has improved the symptoms.
- Treats inflamed skin caused by moderate atopic eczema;
- Appropriate for moist or weeping skin;
- Indicated for adults, elderly and children over 1 year;
- Suitable for delicate areas such as the face and flexures;
- Prescription-strength accessible after a consultation with our pharmacist.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Is this an over-the-counter medication?
No, this is a prescription-only medication that can be purchased over the counter via a private service called PGD (Patient Group Direction).
What will happen once I have answered the questions in the form?
A pharmacist trained to provide this private service will assess the form and call you to discuss the answers you provided with you.
Why do I need to provide my phone number?
In order to dispense this medication without a prescription, the consultation must be carried out via phone or video call. As well as this being a legal requirement to ensure that the medication is suitable for you, the final phone consultation will allow you to ask any questions you may have to the pharmacist.
Is the consultation private?
Patient confidentiality is one of our top priorities, both the form you fill and the phone consultation are strictly confidential between you and the pharmacist.
Do I need to pay for the consultation?
The price you see is inclusive of the consultation fee, so you will not have to pay anything extra.
Please read the patient information leaflet here before starting the treatment.
Each 1 g contains 0.25 mg of betamethasone (0.025% w/w) as betamethasone valerate.
Other ingredients: Macrogol cetostearyl ether 20, cetostearyl alcohol, chlorocresol, disodium hydrogen phosphate dodecahydrate, citric acid monohydrate, liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin and purified water.
Usage and Instructions
Apply a thin layer to the affected area, rubbing in and allowing time for absorption before using an emollient. Use once or twice daily for up to 4 weeks (5 days if treating a delicate area eg. face, flexures), then adjust the frequency, switch to a milder treatment or review with your doctor.
The maximum treatment length on delicate areas such as the face and flexures should last only 5 days.
Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not store above 30 °C.
Once opened, do not use this medicine for more than 3 months.
Do not use Audavate RD after the expiry date which is shown on the tube or carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines that are no longer required. This will help to protect the environment.
Avoid smoking or approaching open flames because of the significant burn risk. Materials, including clothing, bedding, and dressings, which have come in contact with this product, are more prone to catching fire, posing a severe fire threat. While washing these items might lessen the residue of the product, it might not entirely eliminate it.
Discontinue Audavate RD and inform your doctor immediately if:
- You notice a widespread skin rash.
- Your skin condition deteriorates, becomes inflamed, or appears swollen, suggesting an allergy to the product, an infection, or the need for a different treatment.
- If you have psoriasis, you might observe pus-filled bumps beneath the skin, a rare condition called pustular psoriasis, which can emerge during or post-treatment.
|Frequency||Side Effects of Audavate RD|
|Common (affects less than 1 in 10 people)||- A feeling of burning, pain, irritation or itching where the cream or ointment is applied.|
|Side effects if you use Audavate RD for a long time, or you use a lot each time you apply it, or you apply it under an airtight dressing or a nappy:|
|Very Rare (affects less than 1 in 10,000 people)||- An increased risk of infection |
- An allergic skin reaction where the cream or ointment is applied
- Rash, itchy bumpy skin or redness of the skin
- Thinning and dryness of your skin and it may also damage or wrinkle more easily
- Stretch marks may develop.
- Veins under the surface of your skin may become more noticeable.
- Increased hair growth or reduction in hair growth or hair loss and changes in skin colour.
- Thinning of your skin that may also damage more easily.
- Weight gain, rounding of the face and high blood pressure. (More likely in infants and children.)
- Bones can become thin, weak and break easily
- Cloudy lens in the eye (cataract) or increased pressure in eye (glaucoma)
- Increased blood sugar levels or sugar in the urine
- High blood pressure
- Slow growth in children