Maloff Protect 24 Tablets
Maloff Protect 24 Tablets
Maloff Protect tablets are effective antimalaria protection, which is available without a prescription. Pack of 24 tablets is used for up to 15 day holiday.
Active Ingredient: Atovaquone 250mg and Proguanil hydrochloride 100mg.
Other Ingredients: Poloxamer 188, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Low-substituted Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Povidone K30, Sodium Starch Glycolate Type A, Silica colloidal anhydrous, Magnesium Stearate, Hypromellose, Titanium Dioxide E171, Iron Oxide Red E172, Macrogol 400, Macrogol 8000.
Usage and Instructions
Adults over 18 years:
Start the course of Maloff Protect 1 or 2 days before you travel, so that the drugs are in your system, ready to fight off any malaria parasites.
Keep taking the pills at the same time every day to ensure the protection is effective until the course is finished (7 days after you return to a malaria-free area). Take Maloff Protect with food or a milky drink, where possible.
If you vomit within one hour of taking your Maloff Protect tablet, take another dose straight away. If you don't start vomiting until more than one hour after taking Maloff Protect, do not take another Maloff Protect tablet until your next dose is due, as it is likely that Maloff Protect will already be in your system.
Always check the enclosed information leaflet.
If any of the below affect you, or you are unsure about anything, consult your pharmacy:
- You are under 18 years of age (if you are under 18, you are not allowed to buy Maloff Protect from the pharmacy, but you can get a prescription for malaria protection from your doctor).
- You weigh less than 40 kg/6 st 4 lbs.
- You are breastfeeding.
- You are pregnant, think you might be pregnant or are trying to become pregnant.
- You suffer from depression.
- You have been diagnosed with kidney disease.
- You have been diagnosed with liver disease.
- You have been diagnosed with tuberculosis.
- You have ever had epilepsy, convulsions or fits.
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in Maloff Protect or have previously had any side effects with this medication (check the patient information leaflet for a full list or ask your pharmacist).
If you are currently taking any of the following medicines:
- Metoclopramide (for nausea and vomiting).
- The antibiotics tetracycline, rifampicin or rifabutin.
- Indinavir (for HIV).
- Warfarin, any other coumarin-based anticoagulant, or new oral anticoagulants (NOACs) such as dabigatran etexilate, rivaroxaban, and apixaban.
- Indinavir, efavirenz, zidovudine or a boosted protease inhibitor (for HIV).
- Etoposide (for cancer).
Stop taking Maloff Protect and contact a doctor immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms.
Severe allergic reactions/signs include:
- Rash and itching.
- Sudden wheezing, tightness of the chest or throat, or difficulty breathing.
- Swollen eyelids, face, lips, tongue or other parts of the body.
Very common side effect (may affect more than 1 in 10 people) include:
- Feeling sick and being sick (nausea and vomiting).
- Stomach pain.
Other side effects may include:
- Sleeping problems (insomnia).
- Strange dreams.
- Loss of appetite.
- Allergic reactions.
- Itching (pruritus).